What is Service Book?
Service Book (SB) is a record containing configurations of some BlackBerry (BB) services such as email, Browser and email’s attached file formats.
There are 2 methods to download SB to your BB:
- First method, get it from BIS/BES. If you are using BIS/BES, you just need to call to your network admin and (s)he will send it to you.
- Second method: some BB services already had SB (as called “hard SB”) in your system such as email or Wifi. In this case, what you need is that you remove BB battery and insert it again. SB will install automatically into you phone.
The above information is from T-mobile. For Wifi SB, you only need to remove battery and inser it again. SB will install into your BB. For email SB, I tried to use this method but SB was not installed into the phone. Some cases, when you reinstall OS when the battery was removed from the tray, “hard SB” can be restored.
Update: The fastest way to backup/restore Service Book on your BlackBerry (no need to remove Browser Module)
Go to Options > Advanced Options > Service Book
Open BDM (I am using BDM 4.6 but some older versions have the same functions)
Select Backup and Restore, you will see main options, as follows:
In Advanced option, you can choose Database to Backup or Restore
Select Service Book
Open backup file (.ipd) containing SB to load into BlackBerry
Then select Service Book at the left colum
Before carrying out all above steps, you can see the status of your phone:
There is no BIS/BES service except gprs
After restoration of Service Book, you need to make sure Service Book is on your phone. You can check it in Options > Advanced Options > Service book. If not, follow all above steps again.
When your phone had Service Book for Browser, you need to check Service Book to make sure that it was assigned Browser in Options > Advanced Options > Browser
The picture shows that I saw Service Book was assigned Browser
You will see Browser icon displaying on the BlackBerry Desktop as well
If this icon displays, your process is successful
I am using Viettel service provider, you have to refer GPRS configurations of your service provider
Next, let’s try OTA download. As you saw, we don’t need BIS/BES for OTA download
Translated by: Tran Duc Chung<email@example.com>
check here for info about working devices
- If you see the Browser icon, You have Service Book on your phone. But the Browser doen’t work.
Go to Options > Advanced Options > Browser
Click Track Wheel (or Track Ball) and Save (you dont have to change anything but just Save)
Then back to Home and try Browser again. with some lucky it will work
- If your BlackBerry have IT-Policy. Try to remove IT-Policy first and then Enable Browser
Search Google “How to Remove BlackBerry IT-Policy”
- Sometime, You can’t Enable the Browser. Just Reinstall BlackBerry OS (Upgrade or DownGrade) then Enable Browser it will Work for you.